Before we dig into the details for the qualifications of an anvironmental scientist or an environmental monitor, it is essential to know the meaning...
It is no secret that our marine life is dying due to human neglect. We have already seen the extinction of over 100 species...
Environmental monitoring is much needed to help protect the public and the environment from the contaminants and pathogens. They are used to prepare environmental...
Environmental monitoring is a tool that is essential for keeping track of the changes in the environment that hampers the environment (humans and surroundings)...
This site promotes sustainable environment management through an improved understanding of monitoring and good decision-making. To do this it covers all aspects of the principles...
From Our Blog
The increase in buzz around environmental awareness has emerged the development of a new tool for monitoring the environment. This is called the environment monitoring. By definition, environment monitoring is a tool emerged to assess the changing environmental conditions, support policy development and implementations. It also aids in supporting the national and international policymakers for forums, and the public. This process involves various tests and investigations, that can cause potential hampering to the environment. Human activities can also drastically impact the investigations.
Purpose of environmental monitoringThe primary goal of environmental monitoring is to understand the needs of the environment and protect it from any human activities that hamper the sanity, and the environment’s well-being. This process forms an integral part of the environmental impact assessments which involves the following activities:
- Establishing baseline quality
- Uncovering environmental trends
- Identifying any variations in the environment
- Determining and following up the success of the project.
Sectors of environmental monitoringThe people or the team that conducts the tasks of environmental monitoring is called environmental specialists, and they primarily focus of four different sectors of the environment — air, soil, water, and biodiversity.
- Air monitoring: Air quality monitoring is an essential part of the sector as air pollution is increasing at an alarming rate, all around the globe. The conditions have reached to an extent that the government and the EU has introduced the air pollution standards and expects every country and state to meet their requirements. The data from the anemometer is taken into consideration to check the air quality. Topographic readings are considered to prevent the process of lateral atmospheric mixing
- Soil Monitoring: Since farming is a major source of food production and a substantial source of income in various regions of the world, monitoring soil quality is of utmost importance in these regions. It also involves the regeneration of jungles and forests for clear, CO2 free air. The team also keeps tab on the process of soil erosion, contamination and the amount of salts in the soil.
- Water monitoring: Often times, the sewage from nearby factories are released into the water bodies, causing chemical reactions in water, thereby harming the quality of water in the environment that includes lakes, estuaries, rives, oceans, seas, etc. Water quality specialist keeps tab on the physical quality of water like the flow, temperature, erosion, and sediments. They also consider the biological elements such as the measurements of plant and Animal life in the water that ultimately helps in determining the quality of water.
- Biodiversity monitoring: Biodiversity monitoring is an essential part of maintaining the sustainability which depends on the ecosystem’s diversity. International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) are the primary contact that is essential for maintaining the biodiversity of a region, which aids massively in sustainable development. Biodiversity measurement is also a means to measure the loss of ecosystem and the degradation of the quality, and the loss of biodiversity in a region/country. With necessary steps, the biodiversity of a region can be processed again.
Before we dig into the details for the qualifications of an anvironmental scientist or an environmental monitor, it is essential to know the meaning of the role. An environmental monitor is responsible to collect the samples from different departments or sectors of the environment like the soil, water and also and also check the biodiversity of a region. They play a very important role in the issues regarding environment for the publics’ as well as the environment’s best interest. This means the qualifications required for the role are based on the environment and their studies. Regardless of their education background, potential scientists and environmental monitors should be willing to work enthusiastically in fields and outskirts as well. Their work demands them to be working either with government bodies or even individual and freelance scientists and monitors.
Average salary of an environmental monitorAccording to the reports, as of 2015, the average salaray for an average environmental motion is $43,030. If we happen to break this own based on employment services, then the highest pay is from the local government which was at $45,720 and that from engineering organizations was $43,930. The lowest salary was from the research labs- both private and public with an average of $37,010.
- At the minimum of the fresher levels, at leasta bachelor’s degree is require for most of the roles, especially for the field work and sampling ·
- Candidates with a degree in environmental science, life sciences, biology and chemistry will have an upper hand on the job.
- Anything other than field works will require a post-graduation degree.
- Analytical jobs demands for strong mathematics skills, specializing in statistics.
- For candidates that are planning to run their own research, a doctoratedegree is necessary
Demand for environmental monitors
According to certain researches, the demand for the role of an environmental monitor is expected to rise at the rate of 9% between 2014 to 2024, which is slightly higher than the national employment roles which is about 7%. As there is a greater increase in the harmful effects on the environment as well as the humans due to the drastic climatic changes or crisis, the need for these environmental monitor jobs are at a greater demand in the recent years. However, as the situation gets worse, the industry or the sector might need more experienced professionals in their field to create greater diversities of opportunities and the ones with prior lab experience will be the most in demand jobs ,.
ConclusionThe scope of an environmental monitor is on the rise in the outlining years and the need to spread awareness about this field is of utmost importance at this point. The qualifications of the candidate depends on the role and will not necessarily ask for a higher than bachelor’s degree for a beginner.
It is no secret that our marine life is dying due to human neglect. We have already seen the extinction of over 100 species on a yearly basis and still continue our own ways. But, with the understanding of the things that we are doing to our environment, we can see that there is a lot of ways you can stop the destruction of marine environment from happening. Reduce your carbon footprint If you want to see a reduction in the effects of the climate changes on the oceans, one way to do so is by leaving your car at home. This is one of the few things that you can start now. Start doing simple things like switching to fluorescent lights, taking stairs, and using fans than AC and thermostat. Sustainable seafood choices We can see that in the past few years, the global fish populations are rapidly depleting due to the demand, loss of habitat, and fishing practices. This can be stopped by reducing the overexploitation of the species to use them as food and making healthier and sustainable choices. Reduce plastic products Plastics that end up in the oceans are debris that can contribute to habitat destruction. It can also entangle and kill thousands of marine mammals. Make sure that you are trying to limit your impact and try to carry a reusable water bottle, reusable bag, and recycle whenever possible. It is also advisable to be familiar and knowledgeable on how to read the recycling symbols Australia. This will let us help save the mother earth considering that plastics tend to destroy our environment. Take care of the beach If you are someone who loves to enjoy diving, surfing, and relaxing on the beach, it is important that you always clean up. Try to explore different ways to appreciate the oceans and enjoy the place without harming the wildlife. Give change to marine life to thrive and participate in local beach cleanups. Do not purchase things that can exploit marine life There are a few products like coral jewelry, tortoiseshell hair, and other accessories or shark products and obtained by harming marine life. It might not seem huge to you, but can have a significant impact on marine life. Ocean friendly pet owner If you are a pet owner, it is important that you are considering different ways that can lead you to enjoy a sustainable diet. One thing to do is never flush cat litter as it may harm the marine environment. Try to make sure that you avoid releasing aquarium fishes in the wild, as this is one of the main causes that non-native species are introduced in the water. This can easily harm the whole ecosystem of the place and lead to the extinction of a lot of different species, which becomes prey to the invasive species.
Environmental monitoring is much needed to help protect the public and the environment from the contaminants and pathogens. They are used to prepare environmental impacts and assessments to help establish the circumstances that can have a negative impact on the natural environment. There are many different types of monitoring carried out, which include air, water, and soil, which can help establish the right status of the environment. The different types of monitoring are conducted on different types of contaminations. Air pollutants originate from vehicle emissions, refineries, power plants, and industrial processes. These pollutants include sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide, etc. Soil and water can include microbiological, radioactive, synthetic, and volatile organic compounds. There are pesticides and herbicides, which can also be harmful. Heavy metal and organic contaminants are increasing in the parts of the environment due to excessive use. The metal contaminants have an increased presence in the aquatic food chain. For different pollutions there is different type of monitoring and sensors which is effective. Air pollution: Air pollution is a constantly growing problem and is done via air sampling. The sampling can be passive, diffusive, and can be done by biomonitoring. Air pollution is done via air sampling. The samples can be passive, diffusive, and can have bioaccumulated air pollutants. Air pollutions can concentrate heavily influenced by the wind, and others can be taken into account. Soil Monitoring: This is done through soil sampling, which includes soil erosion, salinity, and contaminations. The key here is to ensure that you have food contamination, which can regenerate forests and jungles and keep the air clean. Water monitoring: This is a wide range of sampling methods that can depend on the environment and the types of material used for analysis. This type of water sampling is easy, which requires you to obtain the right samples and check the toxicity of the water. There are numerous types of environmental sensors that depend on the monitoring specifications: the sensitivity and the size. Sensors can easily be divided into three main types, which include environmental factors. Trace metal sensors: This is Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy, nanoelectrode, and miniature chemical flow probe sensor. Radioisotopic sensors: With this sensor, one can easily understand the radiation effect, cadmium zinc, telluride detectors, and other low energy pin diabase spectrometer. Volatile organic compound sensors: With Evanescent fiber-optic chemical senor, grating light reflection spectroscopy, miniature chemical flow probe sensor, and others can help you understand the number of toxins present in any organic compound. Biological sensors: There are many compounds that are present, and with the right sensors, one can find the fatty acid methyl esters, which can allow you to understand the toxins present in the environment.
Environmental monitoring is a tool that is essential for keeping track of the changes in the environment that hampers the environment (humans and surroundings) negatively. It is basically conducted to examine the quality of environment that is changing Day-by-day. The data collected from the environmental specialists is essential for both the governmental and non-governmental bodies.
Benefits for non-governmental bodiesIt is essential before nongovernmental bodies, and individual businesses to keep a tab on the environmental changes, with the concern to reduce further pollution of air, water, soil, and biodiversity.
- Health care professionals: The ailments in the human body is directly related to or concerned with the changes in the environment (climate and pollution), which impacts the human body drastically. Collecting information about these data and statistics from the environmental specialists can help in their treatment and to keep substances at arm’s length.
- Architectures and engineers: Environmental factors play a crucial role in the construction of a building or a structure. For instance, an engineer, and an architect ought to take care of all the possible hindrances that might occur while constructing a bridge by the sea, like the vibrations the water underneath, the climatic changes that could affect the height of the waves, and the level of water etc. Data collected from the environmental monitoring helps them in constructing accurately.
- Scientific researchers: Environmental scientists work in proximity with the scientific researchers. This is to ensure that no pollutants or hazardous can affect the wildlife and human life at a particular region. Also, the data and analysis collected by the scientists help in eliminating certain pollution from the atmosphere by purifying the air, hence reducing air pollution to an extent.
Benefits for governmental bodiesThe role of the environmental management is not just to provide the necessary and essential information to the industries, but to also help government in taking necessary actions, depending on the data produced by the department.
- Environmental management programs: They’re the programs or the plan to action that are essential to achieve certain targets and objectives laid out by the government and their organizations. Without necessary data and statistics (provided by the environmental monitoring department), it is impossible to carry out the plan-to action.
- Population monitoring: With the help of data from population monitoring it is easier for the government to spread the population across the country and help in population management. For instance, if a particular area is facing constant trouble with water and land supply, then they decide to move the big industries to the outskirts of the city or lower-density areas. By taking advantage of the data from the environmental monitoring departments, they can also create new cities like the New Delhi and New Mumbai.
- Regulatory approach: The information provided from the departments is useful in the regulations and enforcement which are anticipated. For instance, despite following all regulations, and not matching the quality of the air or water in a particular region, the government can take necessary actions to change the regulatory approach to get better results.
This site promotes sustainable environment management through an improved understanding of monitoring and good decision-making. To do this it covers all aspects of the principles of monitoring and reporting while emphasising the way the “problem” is understood and the factors that make a “good” design. Spending time on the design up front is a valuable investment. This can be daunting at first but provides opportunities to establish working relations with others and improved understanding of the environment and what you can and want to do to manage it. Useful references and guidelines are provided for further reading. The site is primarily targeted to local government staffs, who have a diverse range of skills and experience, and as such the site will, we hope, be useful to anyone interested in better management and environmental outcomes, including volunteers, community members, and students. The Sydney Coastal Councils Group believes that monitoring is integral to management, and that bringing together others with a common interest to look holistically at problem definition, program design, program outcomes, data management and analysis, and reporting, will improve the likelihood of good decisions leading to improved environmental outcomes.